Frequently Asked Questions
A. WEBSITE NAVIGATION
1. How does the menu or navigation bar at the top of the screen work?
The links within the menu bar at the top of the home screen are briefly explained:
- Home – Takes the user to the starting point of the site. The company's logo at the top of the page also functions as a "Home" button.
- My Courses – Shows all the modules or short courses that you are currently enrolled for.
- Brochure – A downloadable PDF guide to Online Academy and all the courses on offer.
- FAQ – A guide to assist the registered user to understand the concept of the training portal.
- Blog – General news feed with related articles to online training and the benefits of learning.
- Resources – General contact information for queries, billing and other.
B. MANAGING YOUR PROFILE
1. How can I edit my profile?
Go to the top right-hand corner of your home screen. Hover over your name and click the “Edit” link. This will offer you the opportunity to edit and view your full profile.
2. I have forgotten my password, what do I do?
Click on the "Forgotten your username and password?" option in the login screen. You will only need to provide your e-mail address in order for the system to generate a reset.
C. SUPPORT: CONTACT DETAILS
1. How do I contact Online Academy when I have a query?
We are using an online ticketing system as well as call centre agents to log your queries.
- For technical queries, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For billing queries, e-mail us at email@example.com
- For general queries, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We endeavour to assist ticket queries within 48 hours (during working hours). Online Academy is only available within working hours.
D. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Are there any TECHNICAL limitations?
Registered Users are required to have an installed working copy of Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera web browser. It is also recommended that browsers are updated regularly. Please note that Internet Explorer is NOT recommended. The web pages are not guaranteed to display correctly in any other format. It is recommended to have a device/computer with updated drivers, that has a sound card, speakers or headphones. A stable internet connection of 4mb download and higher is recommended to be able to view the training clips. For some Corporate businesses, their IT must ensure that there is no firewalls blocking the portal or Social media as there might be reference to these in courses.
1. What kind of courses will I find on Online Academy?
Most of the courses on Online Academy is industry-specific skills courses which focus on personal enrichment and workplace skills development.
All the skills courses are categorised as non-credit-bearing short courses, however, selective content is credit aligned.
Courses are categorised according to length and level.
2. What is a “Bite-Size Course”?
Bite-size courses consist of 2 modules at most, course duration can range from 1 hour – 2 hours.
Cost starts from only R450.00
3. What is a “Short Course”?
Short courses consist of 4 modules at most, course duration can range from 3 – 4 hours.
Cost starts from only R875.00
4. What is a “Full Course”?
Full courses consist of 8 modules at most, course duration can range from 5 – 8 hours.
Cost starts from only R1 750.00
5. Are the courses accredited?
No, however, the skills courses are credit aligned.
A non-credit-bearing short course is a type of short learning programme for which no credits are awarded in relation to unit standards or (part) qualifications depending on the purpose and/or assessment of the programme.
6. Do I receive a certificate when I finish a course?
Yes, Online Academy will issue an attendance certificate in your profile after finishing all the modules within the short course and passing all module assessments with a minimum of 80%.
Be reminded that you have to be enrolled for a course in order to be able to receive an attendance certificate.
The attendance certificate will include your name, the short course title, your ID number, the modules that you have successfully passed as well as the date you finished the course.
F. COURSE ENROLMENT
1. What is a study field and what is a module?
- A study field is a group of related disciplines, skills and areas of interest such as Fundamental Skills, Marketing Skills, HR Skills, Management Skills, Computer Skills etc. Each study field includes numerous courses.
- A course (bite-size, short course, full course) usually consists of modules.
- A module usually takes 30 – 45 minutes to complete.
- You have to purchase a course in order to be enrolled, only then will the system be able to track, grade and issue an attendance certificate upon completion of the entire course.
2. How do the assessments within the modules work?
You have to successfully (score of 80%) complete all module assessments within a short course in order to receive an attendance certificate.
You have 3 attempts to successfully complete an assessment of a module.
Should you not be successful within 3 attempts, the system will automatically lock any further progress and you will have to re-attempt the module.
3. How do I enrol for a skills course?
- Determine the duration and level that you would like to attend.
- Based on the duration, you will be able to select from either:
- Bite-size course
- Short course
- Full course
- Choose the skills course you want to complete.
- Evaluate the course description, overview and the course level to ensure it is suited to your needs.
- Click on the “Add to Cart” button.
- Complete to the checkout procedure and commence with payment.
4. How can I see what I have enrolled for?
Click on the “My Courses” link on the menu bar at the top of the home page screen.
5. Am I able to attempt or work through a module or short course twice?
Yes, there is no limit on attempting modules or short courses.
G. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
We appreciate any suggestions and feedback that you might have.